These pretty patties are vibrant in color in taste! This recipe combines roasted beets, black beans, and brown rice to make gorgeous pink burgers. These can easily be made in big batches ahead of time and frozen for use on busy weeknights. Serve them on a toasted bun, topped with avocado and leafy greens of your choice.
Freezable Black Bean and Beet Burgers [Vegan]
- 1 cup cooked black beans, or 1 15.5-ounce can canned beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup dry brown rice, cooked
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/3 cup cooked red beets, shredded
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Separately cook the beets, black beans (if not using canned), and brown rice.
- When the black beans are cooked and tender, mash them in a large bowl.
- Gently mix in all the other ingredients until incorporated. The mixture will be slightly sticky and have a chunky, not smooth texture.
- Divide the mixture into the size and amount of burgers desired. Flatten them to an even consistency.
- Lay the burgers on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for approximately 10 minutes at 350°F.
- At this point, you can freeze them for future meals or fry them on the stove in a griddle pan with a little olive oil until the sides are crisp and griddle lines form on each side, about a few minutes per side.