Freekeh is a grain that's similar to quinoa in that it provides ample nutrition while tasting great. In this recipe, the young, green wheat is lightly cooked, and served with garlicky mushrooms and toasted, turmeric-infused chickpeas. Dress it up with extra virgin olive oil and vinegar, or any dressing of your choice.
Freekeh and Turmeric Chickpea Salad [Vegan]
- 1 cup freekeh
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 1/2 of a head of rainbow chard, de-stemmed and chopped
- 16-ounce can chickpeas, drained, rinsed, and towel dried
- 1 watermelon radish
- Sea salt
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- Olive oil
- Sunflower seeds (optional)
- Sunflower sprouts (optional)
- Avocado (optional)
To Make the Turmeric Chickpeas:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Drain the can of chickpeas and either let them air dry or pat them between paper towels to remove as much moisture as possible. They will toast easier and faster if they’re completely dry.
- In a large bowl, add two diced garlic cloves, the chickpeas, 1-2 tablespoons olive oil, a generous pinch of salt, and 1-2 teaspoons turmeric powder.
- Mix to evenly coat the chickpeas, then lay the chickpeas flat on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes until slightly crispy.
- Remove from the oven, add another pinch of salt and put aside to cool off.
To Make the Rainbow Chard and Mushrooms:
- In a pan over medium-low heat, add olive oil and 1 diced garlic clove.
- Once the garlic begins to brown, add 1 cup of chopped shiitake mushrooms.
- After about 3 minutes, the mushrooms will begin to wilt and you can add a splash of tamari sauce. Stir the mushrooms around to evenly coat with the sauce.
- Add half a bunch of chopped rainbow chard and let simmer for a few minutes. Once the chard has wilted the greens and mushrooms are done.
For the Freekeh:
- Bring 2 1/2 cups water to a boil, add a pinch of salt, and then stir in 1 cup of freekeh. Lower the heat and let simmer for 20 minutes until the water is fully absorbed. After 20 minutes, fluff and remove from heat.
To Assemble the Salad:
- In a large bowl, mix together the freekeh, mushrooms and chard, and top with chickpeas, half a chopped watermelon radish, avocado, sunflower seeds, and sunflower sprouts.