Bite into this savory and sweet appetizer, perfect for your next event or gathering.
Fig and Caramelized Onion Flatbread [Vegan]
For the Flatbread and Toppings:
- Flatbread of choice
- Half a red onion, thinly sliced
- 1-2 tablespoon vegan butter or olive oil
- Handful of arugula
- Handful of cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 fresh figs, sliced
- Balsamic glaze
For the Vegan Basil Pesto:
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup halved walnuts
- 1 tablespoon vegan parmesan or nutritional yeast
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup and 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper
To Caramelize the Onions:
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Start by heating a medium-sized pan on medium heat. Add the vegan butter or olive oil. Once the butter/oil is hot, add sliced onions.
- Caramelize the onions by letting them cook for at least 20-30 minutes. Stir occasionally and add water, or broth to keep them from sticking to the pan. Let the liquid cook in before adding more. Once the onions are done, turn off the heat.
To Make the Pesto:
- While the onions are cooking, prepare the pesto if you're making it from scratch.
- Add all the pesto ingredients into a food processor and blitz until fully combined, about a minute or two. Add more oil if you want to thin it out. Set aside.
To Make the Flatbread:
- Spoon a tablespoon or more of pesto onto your flatbread, spreading it evenly across the top.
- Pop the flatbread into the oven for about 8-10 minutes. When it's done, bring out onto a cutting board or serving platter and have it near by ready to top.
- In the pan with the onions, add a quick swig of olive oil and throw in the arugula and sliced tomatoes. Toss to evenly coat and until the arugula has slightly wilted. No longer than 30 seconds.
- Spoon the toppings on to the flatbread and spread evenly across the top.
- Add the freshly sliced figs and drizzle with the balsamic glaze (or balsamic vinegar). Feel free to sprinkle with vegan parmesan. Serve immediately.