I needed something quick, easy, filling and of course, tasty, so I took a look in my pantry. I found an extra bag of polenta, so that was top of my mind. Polenta whips up quickly. Now what to add to it? Beans already cooked in the fridge, a can of chilies, some fresh cilantro, tomatoes, onions and spices – voila! In less than 30 minutes, dinner is served!
Fiesta Polenta [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 cups dry polenta
- 6 cup water
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup cooked or canned black, pinto or kidney beans
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ cup chopped green chilies
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 1 Tbs chili powder
- 1 Tbs Dr. Bragg’s amino acids
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- First boil the water and slowly add in the polenta, stirring constantly.
- As soon as it boils, turn down to low heat and cover for about 5 minutes. Add in the spices and aminos a few at a time, stirring well to ensure it all mixes together. Then add the cilantro, chilies, beans and tomatoes stirring gently until everything is warm.
- Spoon into bowls and top with a little more cilantro or some vegan cheddar cheese.