Impress your guests with this beautiful and flavorful summer fava bean salad! Nestled inside of a ring of sliced cucumbers, you'll find plump agretti leaves, bright green fava beans, and sun-dried tomatoes. Drizzled with aromatic shiso dressing and garnished with edible flowers this salad is almost too pretty to eat...almost.
Fava Salad With Agretti Shiso Dressing [Vegan]
For the Salad:
- 24 ounces fava beans
- A small bunch of shiso leaves, 3-4 leaves saved for the dressing
- 2 Persian cucumbers, chopped
- 1/3 cup sundried tomatoes, chopped
- A handful of mixed greens of your choice
- A few sprigs of agretti
- Edible flowers, for garnish (optional)
For the Dressing:
- 3-4 shiso leaves
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- Juice from 1/2 of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon ginger juice
- 1 large garlic clove
- 2 teaspoons mellow white or chickpea miso
- 1/2 teaspoon pickled plum paste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- To prepare the fava beans, take the stem and pull down the seam to remove the string. Remove the beans from the pod, place in a bowl and rinse with warm water.
- Before you blanch the beans, prepare a bowl of ice water so that you can immediately stop the beans from cooking once they have been blanched.
- Boil 4 cups of salted water (should be as salty as sea water) and drop the beans in for 45 seconds. Quickly drain the beans and place them into the ice water for a couple of minutes.
- Drain the water and shell the beans by squeezing it out of its skin (if the beans don't come out easily, carefully make a small slit with a knife or your fingers and slip the beans out).
- Cut the shiso leaves into long, thin strips by rolling the leaves into a cigar shape and using a sharp knife to slice very thin pieces.
- Combine all of the salad ingredients.
- To make the dressing, place all ingredients into a blender and blend on high until shiso leaves are broken up and the dressing is a deep pink color.
- Combine the salad and dressing.
- if you'd like to make a "cucumber shell" for the salad, rub a couple drops of olive oil on the inside of the ring mould, then carefully layer thinly sliced cucumber, barely overlapping. Place the ring mould on the plate and scoop the salad into the ring mould, careful not to overstuff. Carefully remove the ring mould, leaving the cucumber slices in place.
- Garnish with flowers if using. Serve.