The base for this mousse is peeled peas (I can't help it), avocado, lemon grass, mustard, and rice milk, and the texture is achieved with agar-agar and water. The mousse turned out light, soft, creamy, and absolutely gorgeous. For garnishing, I used red currants, limes, black & white pepper, oranges, and karambola.
Fancy Pea Mousse [Vegan]
10 small shot cups
- 1 cup peas
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/3 cup rice milk*
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon lemon grass
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1/2 juiced lime
- 1 teaspoon agar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Bring to a boil the peas with 1 cup water and the lemon grass.
- Remove from the heat, pour the water out and peel the peas*
- Bring to a boil the agar with 1 cup water and the rice milk, until completely resolved.
- Add everything in the blender and blend until nice and smooth, for about 1 minute.
- Pour into small cups and place in the fridge to harden.
You can skip the rice milk or substitute it for another vegan milk, but the rice one is sweet, so if you decide to skip it – add 1 teaspoon liquid sweetener to achieve the same taste. You can also use raw or canned peas, and can skip the peeling part if your blender is powerful enough to smoothen the pea’s shell. If you decide to peel the peas, it’s super easy – just squeeze it between your fingers and the shell comes off.