Here’s an easy, crowd-pleasing recipe for a delicious appetizer, ideal to bring along when you’re invited to a party. Everybody likes the taste of the cashew nuts mixed with the sweet leeks. It can be served lukewarm or cold with radishes, carrot and cucumber sticks, chicory leaves, or crackers.
Exquisite Leek and Cashew Appetizer [Vegan]
- 2 leeks, thoroughly rinsed and cut into slices
- 1-2 cloves garlic, finely cut
- 1 cup salted roasted cashew nuts (preferably buy them raw and roast/salt them yourself)
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Warm up a pan and sweat the garlic and the leeks over medium heat
- Add 1 cup of boiling water, cover with the lid and allow to cook in low heat for about 20 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper and dried oregano, mix well. Remove from the fire and let it cool down.
- Add the cashew nuts in a food processor and grind briefly. You want to grind the nuts into small pieces, not make cashew nut butter.
- Also add the Leeks into the food processor and mix everything until obtaining a smooth texture. Enjoy!
Tip: Leeks need to be thoroughly rinsed to remove any sand or earth. Cut off the root and remove the hard edges and any leaves that might have lost their color. Slice lengthwise once to be able to rinse properly under running water, then cut into slices/half rings.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS