This recipe is a keeper as it’s packed with veggies, accessible and affordable ingredients, can easily be made in bulk, easy, cheesy, and you can use this sauce recipe for any pasta dish and the filling for a lasagna! If you love classic staple vegan dishes, you have to try this vegan Eggplant Rollatini with basil tofu "cheese"!
Eggplant Rollatini with Basil Tofu Ricotta [Vegan]
To Make the Eggplant:
- 2 medium eggplants, peeled and sliced lengthwise 1/2-inch thick
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
To Make the Filling:
- 1 block of tofu
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 cup chopped kale (removed from stems, shredded)
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 4 tablespoon chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup parmesan vegan cheese (more for topping)
To Make the Tomato Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 can of organic whole peeled tomatoes, chopped, save the juice
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon red pepper
- Salt and pepper (1/2 teaspoon of each)
- 1 cup kale, (removed from stems, shredded)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Slice each eggplant lengthwise into 1/2-inch thick sections. Line baking sheets with parchment paper (will help them not to stick) and grease with olive oil and top with salt and pepper. Lay them out on the lined cookie sheet, not touching. Cook at 375°F for around 15-20 minutes or until tender. Remove eggplant once tender and place them on a drying rack or flip occasionally while cooling to prevent condensation making them too moist.
- While eggplant is in the oven heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add the chopped garlic, cook for 2 minutes. Then add the chopped onion, cook for 5-7 until translucent. Season with red pepper, salt, black pepper. Now add the basil and kale, tomatoes, red wine vinegar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10-15 minutes to thicken the sauce, then remove from heat.
- In a food processor combine the drained tofu, kale, vegan parmesan cheese, basil, lemon juice, garlic salt, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper, and pulse until it forms almost a paste. Try not to over process.
- Pour the tomato sauce in the bottom of a casserole dish. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of tofu mixture on the wider end of the eggplant and roll them up. Place each roll seam side down into the sauce. Place the dish in the oven for 15-20 minutes more until hot.
- Top with vegan parm and more basil and enjoy!