This curry is colorful, tangy, tasty, and perfect to curl up with when it's chilly or rainy outside. Throw in your favorite tofu for a filling, flavor-packed meal that will leave you satisfied and nourished.
Easy Thai Red Tofu Curry [Vegan, Grain-Free]
For the Tofu and Marinade:
- 16-ounces extra firm tofu pressed and cut into 1/2 by 1/2-inch cubes.
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
For the Curry:
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of grated ginger
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 cup of sliced Cremini mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons of red curry paste
- 13 ounces of light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon of sambal oelek (hot chili paste)
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 8 fresh Thai basil leaves, ribboned
- Jasmine or white rice for serving, optional
- Fresh Thai basil leaves
- Sliced scallions
To Make the Tofu:
- Drain and remove the tofu from it's packaging. Press tofu (see notes). This will be 30 minutes of idle time.
- In the meantime, combine the marinade ingredients from the garlic clove through to the red pepper flakes in a bowl.
- Once the tofu is good to go, cut into cubes and toss into a freezer bag with marinade. Shake to coat.
- Let the tofu marinade for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours. Once done, transfer the tofu to a separate bowl and add corn starch. Toss to coat.
- Heat coconut oil in a skillet over moderate heat.
- Place the tofu cubes into the skillet and fry until they are golden brown and crispy on each side — approx. 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer the tofu to a bowl.
To Make the Curry:
- Add 1/4 cup of water to a large saucepan and bring to a light simmer.
- Add the minced onion, garlic, and fresh ginger and bring the heat to medium.
- Simmer for approximately 5 minutes or until the garlic is fragrant and the onions are slightly translucent.
- Add the slices of red bell pepper and mushrooms.
- Stir in the 3 tablespoons of red curry paste and stir until the veggies are evenly coated.
- Finally, add the coconut milk, soy sauce or tamari, lime juice, and zest.
- Stir until the curry paste has dissolved into the liquid and let the curry simmer for approximately 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare your rice, if using, per the package instructions. Once the rice is ready, serve in a bowl and spoon the curry over the rice. Top with crispy tofu and garnish with fresh Thai basil ribbons and sliced scallions.