These little bites are super easy to make with just a can of chickpeas, spices, veggies, jalapeño, and gluten free flour. This is a great dish for appetizers at your next party!
Easy Mexican Vegan Falafel Bites [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 and 1/2 cup chickpeas (canned works, drained)
- 1 shallot or 1/4 cup onion
- 2 cups whole Cauliflower/Broccoli combo (feel free to just use one or the other)
- 1 jalapeño (de-seed if you don't want too spicy)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1/4 cup packed cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoon coconut flour or gluten free flour of choice
- Sea salt/black pepper to taste
- 2-4 tablespoon oil (avocado works great for frying)
- Additional salsa/dips/hummus to serve with (optional)
- First drain your chickpeas and rinse. Set aside.
- Next grind your broccoli/cauliflower so that it is "riced." See picture above. Makes about 1 cup riced after placed in food processor.
- Place all ingredients in food processor and pulse about 5x until everything is mixed but not pureed. Do not over pulse. You want it thick and chunky.
- Next empty mix into a bowl and form into golf size balls (bites).
- Place these vegan falafel balls/bites on a cookie sheet then in fridge for 1 hr or freezer for 10 minutes to set.
- Once set, remove from fridge.
- Heat a large skillet or frying pan with a few tbsps of oil.
- Place half the vegan falafel bites in the pan and fry on medium high, turning gently, for 4-6 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add more oil and repeat for the second batch.
- Place all on paper towel and blot off extra oil if desired.
- Season with more salt/pepper if desired.
- Serve right away or freeze for later.
- Great with a salsa, hummus, red pepper dip, etc. Pair with a Mexican corn salad or side of choice.
These work great at appetizers or as a finger food meal. Make ahead and freeze for later! You can make the balls ahead of times and place in fridge for up to 24 hrs before cooking.