This paleo easy healthy sweet potato casserole with pecan topping is the best side dish for Thanksgiving! Vegan-friendly and gluten/grain/dairy/egg/sugar-free!
Easy Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole With Pecan Topping [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 1-pound sweet potatoes
- 1-pound apples, of choice
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of pepper
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup raw pecans
- 1/2 cup halved dates, tightly packed
- Peel the sweet potatoes and apples, and remove the cores from the apples. Chop them all into large chunks and place into a large pot. Cover with about 1-inch of water, adding a pinch of salt.
- Bring to a boil on medium/high-heat and cook until very soft and tender, about 30-35 minutes. Once cooked, drain well and place into a large bowl. Additionally, heat your oven to 350°F and rub a casserole dish with vegan butter.
- Add all the ingredients, except for the coconut flour, raw pecans, dates, and one tablespoon of the vegan butter, into the bowl and mash until well combined but leaving a little bit of the apple chunky for texture.
- Finally, stir in the coconut flour. Spread into the prepared casserole dish.
- In a small food processor (mine is 3 cups) combine the pecans and dates, pulsing until broken down and crumbly.
- Pour the mixture into a small bowl and mix together with the remaining butter.
- Sprinkle the date/pecan mixture evenly over top of the casserole. Bake until the casserole feels set, about 45 mins-1 hour, depending on the size of your casserole dish.
- Turn your oven to high-broil and broil for an additional 5-10 minutes, until the dates are crispy.
- Let stand for 5-10 minutes and DEVOUR!