These brownies are really easy to make. And no, I’m not just saying that. As long as you have a food processor you’re all set to go. You can easily leave out the chocolate topping if you wish, but trust me, it adds another layer of goodness that makes you so thankful cacao is healthy and that you can eat this brownie without ANY guilt.
Raw Chocolate Walnut Brownies [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 1/2 cup of walnuts
- 1 cup of raw almonds
- 3/4 cup cacao powder
- 2 1/2 cups of Medjool dates (roughly 30, pits removed)
- 1/2 cup of melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup of maple syrup
- 1/2 cup of cacao powder
- A pinch of salt
- Add 1 cup of walnuts with the almonds to a food processor and pulse until blended. Then add the cacao powder and salt and pulse for 20 seconds.
- While the motor is running, add one date at a time (make sure you have taken the pits out), and process until everything comes together and is slightly sticky.
- Tip into a bowl with the half cup of crushed walnuts and combine with your hands.
- Transfer to a lined baking dish (I used a 9x9-inch baking dish) and press firmly to create a seamless finish. Place the brownie in the freezer while you make the chocolate topping.
- In a pot, melt the coconut oil. Add the maple syrup and mix well.
- Next, sift in the cacao powder and salt and then mix until combined.
- Pour the mixture over the top of the brownie and top with cacao nibs and extra walnuts.
- Transfer back to the freezer for 40 minutes. Once everything is completely set, cut into squares and place in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks.
These brownies are best eaten immediately although they will last for two weeks.