This bread is perfect to accompany your breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Rather than crusty, it is dense and chewy, perfect for avocado toast or rustic sandwiches. If you want to switch up the ingredients, do so! Swap the sunflower/ pumpkin seeds or quinoa for another seed, nut, or even dried fruit, depending on what you're in the mood for.
Double Oat and Seed Bread [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons very hot water
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking steel cut oats
- Boiling water
- 1 cup gluten-free oat flour, packed
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons pumpkin purée
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons raw agave nectar, or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup aquafaba (liquid from canned chickpeas)
- Preheat oven to 350°F,
- In a small bowl, combine ground flaxseeds and very hot water. Set aside to thicken.
- Add steel cut oats to a medium bowl. Cover the oats with boiling water, about 1 inch. Let oats soak for 3-4 minutes, drain in a fine mesh sieve, and place back in bowl (you don’t way the oats to be fully cooked, they should still have a bite to them)
- In a large bowl combine oat flour, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, quinoa, chia seeds, and salt. Mix until evenly distributed.
- To the bowl with the steel cut oats add pumpkin, water, olive oil, and agave. Whisk well.
- In another medium bowl add liquid from chickpeas. Beat with an electric mixer for about 4-5 minutes, until the foam is doubled in size.
- Add the steel cut oat mixture to the large bowl with the oat flour and seeds, and stir until combined. Stir in aquafaba (chickpea liquid).
- Add the mixture to a well oiled 8×4-inch pan. Press down and smooth the top. Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes. Remove bread from oven and let sit in loaf pan for 10 minutes. Gently remove loaf from pan and allow to cool completely on a wire wrack before slicing.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS