Dill Tomato Rice is an aromatic one pot meal that is great as a weeknight meal and also to pack for lunch boxes. Add either chickpeas or paneer to make this dish filling and wholesome.
Aromatic Dill and Tomato Rice [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup basmati, rinsed and soaked for 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 2 cloves
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-inch cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon shahjeera
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 green chilies, slit
- 1 teaspoon ginger and garlic paste
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup dill, chopped
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves, chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder (add more if you like it spicy)
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into thin slices
- 2 cups water
- To taste salt
- Heat oil in a medium sauce pan. Add the spices and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add the onions, green chilies and ginger+garlic paste; cook till the onions are lightly browned around the edges.
- Next add the chopped dill, mint, tomatoes, ground coriander and cumin, red chili powder, garam masala and salt. Mix well, cover and cook till the tomatoes turn mushy, about 3~5 minutes.
- Add the green pepper slices and water. Bring the mixture to a boil, then add the drained rice and cook on medium-high until the water on the surface dries up.
- Lower the heat, cover and cook until all the water is absorbed and the rice is tender. Turn off the heat and set aside for 10 minutes. Serve with cucumber raita (yogurt, grated cucumber, salt and red chili powder) and enjoy!!