What's not to love about this giant cookie? It's rich, chocolatey, soft like butter, and the chocolate and cherry flavors blend seamlessly together, especially when topped with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream. The skillet speeds up the cook time, making the wait time between cooking and devouring even shorter.
Dark Chocolate Cherry Skillet Cookie [Vegan]
For the Cookie:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, softened
- 1/2 banana, mashed
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup roasted pistachios
- 1/2 cup vegan vanilla ice cream
For the Cherry Syrup:
- 2 cups cherries, seeds removed and sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
For the Topping:
- 1/2 cup pistachios, crushed
To Make the Cookie:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Rub coconut oil or butter on a 9-inch cast iron skillet, then set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the flour, cacao, baking soda, baking powder,and salt until combined. Set aside. Using an electric mixer, beat the coconut sugar, butter, and 1/2 banana, together on medium-high speed. Add in the vanilla and cherry extract.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredient mixture to the wet ingredients, beating on medium speed until just combined. Using a spatula, fold in the vegan chocolate chips and dried cherries until evenly combined.
- Press the dough into the prepared skillet, making sure it’s evenly spread out. Bake for 15-16 minutes. The cookie may look a bit undercooked, but this is normal (it’ll settle more as it cools down).
- Let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. Top with vegan vanilla ice cream, cherry drizzle, and pistachios.
To Make the Cherry Syrup:
- Add the cherries to a pan over medium heat, cook for 7-10 mins. Cherries should soften and juice will collect. Remove from heat and place in a cheese cloth or nut milk mesh bag and drain the liquid from the cherries. Place back onto the pan and add the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the arrowroot a little at a time or you can combine it with the lemon juice and add to the mixture. Whisk to combine and cook for an additional 5 minutes, until it thickens.
- Plate your pancakes, then top with crushed pistachios and the cherry syrup.