The root vegetables in this soup are simmered in a vegetable broth spiced with ginger and curry spices, then puréed until smooth. Coconut milk adds the perfect touch of creaminess and a squeeze of fresh lime juice helps to balance out the spicy flavors. The soup is then topped with crispy homemade beet chips. Eat this soup as a meal, with plenty of beet chips for dipping.
Curried Root Vegetable Soup With Beet Chips [Vegan]
For the Soup:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil of your choice
- 2 large onions
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2-inch piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tandoori masala powder
- 2 teaspoons mild curry powder
- 2 sweet potatoes, washed, peeled and diced
- 2 large carrots, washed, peeled and diced
- 4 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 13.5-ounce of coconut milk
- Salt, to taste (optional)
- A small handful of finely chopped fresh coriander leaves (optional)
- A splash of fresh lime juice (optional)
For the Beet Chips:
- 3-4 small beets, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus extra for serving
To Make the Soup:
- Prepare all the soup ingredients as noted above and chop the onions.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium-low heat. Add the chopped onions and stir for about 10 minutes, until they are soft and translucent. Then add the chopped garlic, ginger, tandoori masala, and curry powder and stir for a minute or two.
- Add the vegetables and stir for another minute or so. Pour in the vegetable broth. Increase the heat and bring to a simmer. Cook gently until the root vegetables are soft, about 15 minutes or so.
- Remove the soup from the heat, add the coconut milk, and place in a blender or food processor until the mixture is nicely combined and super smooth. A handheld mixer will also work for this step.
- To serve, add salt to taste, the fresh coriander, a dash of lime juice, and garnish with beet chips.
To Make the Beet Chips:
- Pre-heat the oven to 130°F. Next, wash, peel and, using a mandolin, thinly slice the beet.
- Place the sliced beets in a mixing bowl with the olive oil and salt. Mix so that the oil and salt is evenly distributed over the beet slices.
- Next prepare a baking sheet with greaseproof baking paper. Spread the sliced beetroot over the baking tray/baking paper, ensuring none of the slices cover each other.
- Place the trays in the oven for 10-12 hours, or overnight.
- Before serving, sprinkle with a little bit of extra salt, to taste.