Made with sweet potatoes, rice, mushrooms, and onion, along with curry spices, these burgers are flavorful and delicious. They're accompanied by a creamy, tangy avocado-lime sauce that perfectly complements the spicy flavors of the burgers. Make a big batch ahead of time and freeze the rest for busy days!
Curried Rice and Sweet Potato Burgers [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Burgers:
- 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms, diced
- 1/3 of a white onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- A sprinkle of cracked black pepper
For the Avocado Lime Spread:
- 1 whole avocado
- Juice from 1/2 a lime
- Black cracked pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Bun of your choice
- Onion slices
- Prepare rice first cooking according to directions on your package.
- While rice is cooking place your sweet potatoes in a pot with enough water to cover the bottom and place a cover on top, let steam on medium heat for about 15-20 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are soft and smash-able.
- Once those are both cooked measure them to make sure you get 2 cups cooked rice and 1 1/2 cups smashed sweet potato and place both ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Chop the mushrooms and onion and add those to the mixture as well, stir everything up.
- Add in olive oil and spices and mix well.
- For tennis ball-sized balls and place them in a non-stick skillet (or spray a skillet with spray but non-stick ones work best, as they are fragile burgers) once you place them in the skillet press them down so they for a thick burger shape, push sides together with spatula, if needed.
- Let them cook on medium-high heat for 6-8 minutes on each side, being very careful when flipping so they do not break.
- While they are cooking you can make the avocado lime spread, add all the ingredients for the spread into a s=bowl and mash really well.
- Once burgers are done, assemble and enjoy.
Can be kept frozen for up to two months in the freezer.