There's nothing more comforting than sipping on a big bowl of soup on a cold autumn day. Consider making this curried pumpkin soup the one that fills your belly with warm goodness! Top it off your serving with a sprinkling of sweet and toasty apple croutons and celebrate fall!
Curried Pumpkin Soup With Apple Croutons [Vegan]
This Recipe is :
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 16-ounce container pumpkin puree
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 4-6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup coconut milk (if you can find a pumpkin spice flavor, use it!)
- 2 large apples, cored
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
To Make the Apple Croutons:
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut the apples into bite-sized pieces. Spread the brown sugar on a plate. Roll the apple bites in the brown sugar until they are coated.
- Spread the coated apple bites onto the baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for about 20 minutes until the apples are golden brown. Don’t let them get too soft. Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack. Set aside or keep refrigerated until ready to use.
To Make the Soup:
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook for four minutes, until they are translucent. Add the garlic and the spices. Mix to combine. Add the pumpkin puree and the apple sauce. Stir to combine. Let cook for three minutes.
- Add the broth to the pot, along with the salt and pepper. Let the soup come to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Transfer the soup in batches to a blender or use an immersion blender to blend the soup until it is silky smooth. Return to the pot.
- Add the milk to the soup. Mix to combine. Heat the soup until it is warm. Taste for seasoning. Serve in bowls topped with apple croutons.