This is a really comforting dish for one of those many cold wintery nights, and it’s so easy there’s no excuse not to make it yourself. The butternut squash gives it a great depth of flavor, making it feel hearty, whilst the coconut milk and curry powder help to give it an unexpected kick. With this recipe, you won’t even realize that you’ve got extra broccoli and cauliflower in there for those all important extra nutrients.
Curried Coconut and Butternut Squash Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and chopped into small chunks
- 1 potato, diced
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
- Half head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 tablespoon mild curry powder
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 13-ounce can of coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional for serving: Pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, cashew cream
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat your oil over a medium heat.
- Once hot, add your onion and sauté for 2- 3 minutes until starting to soften.
- Add in the rest of your veg and sauté for another 3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover your saucepan with a lid and leave to sweat for 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid, add your curry powder and stir well.
- Add your stock and coconut milk and stir well.
- Bring to a simmer and leave to simmer for 30 minutes, until veggies are soft.
- Once the veggies are soft, using a blender or hand blender, blend soup until smooth.
- Season to taste.
- Butternut Squash