Collard greens and black-eyed peas are cooked in a blend of spices create a dish that's a mix between a dal and chana masala. Using peas instead of the usual chickpeas makes this meal thick and hearty, like a comforting stew. Serve this spicy meal over a bed of rice of freshly cooked quinoa.
Curried Black-Eyed Peas and Collard Greens [Vegan]
- 1 16-ounce can black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup brown or green lentils
- 1 bunch collard greens
- 1 16-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon dried cilantro
- Place peas and lentils in a large stockpot and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat, and simmer until the lentils are cooked and the water is absorbed.
- Add collards, tomatoes, and coconut milk and stir to combine. Add water to thin, as needed.
- Stir in all spices and simmer on stove over medium-low heat for 20 minutes to let flavors develop. Add more water or vegetable stock, as needed, for desired consistency.
- Serve over rice or quinoa.
304 kcal, 46 g carbs, 6 g fat, 18 g protein, 489 mg sodium, 3 g sugar
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS
Black Eye / Pigeon Pea