These baked tempeh sticks taste like they're coated in breadcrumbs, without the gluten! The crunchy crust is made from a combination of almonds and hazelnuts, giving it a nutty taste along with its pleasant texture.These tempeh sticks make a great entrée for an everyday meal when paired with vegetables and a side of ketchup for dipping.
Crunchy Tempeh Sticks [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Marinated Tempeh:
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup gluten-free aminos or tamari
- 1 8-ounce packaged gluten-free tempeh, sliced into 6 long sticks
For the Flax Egg:
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup warm water
For the Almond Hazelnut Crust:
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup raw hazelnut
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Ketchup:
- 1-inch piece ginger
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 pitted dates
- 1 cup fresh cherry tomatoes
To Marinate the Tempeh:
- Combine ginger, garlic, water, and tamari in a saucepan and then add the sliced tempeh. Cook on low for about 10-15 minutes.
- Drain tempeh, set aside, and let cool.
For the Flax Egg:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground flaxseeds and warm water. Mix well and let sit for about 5 minutes until the consistency resembles thick pancake batter.
To Make the Crunchy Tempeh Sticks:
- Add almonds and hazelnut into a food processor or high-speed blender and process, until coarse and sand-like consistency is achieved.
- Add salt and pepper and process for few more seconds.
- Place in a small mixing bowl and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Dip each slice of tempeh into the flax egg and immediately coat well in the almond and hazelnut mixture.
- Set coated tempeh pieces onto a baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp.
- Remove from oven, let cool for a couple of minutes, and serve.
To Make the Ketchup:
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and purée until smooth.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS