Simple veggies get a flavorful kick with turmeric and cumin in this aromatic veggie bowl. This roasted okra recipe is delicious. Even if you aren’t a fan of okra, you might like this recipe. The spices are quite fragrant in this, and will not only satisfy your taste buds, but also offer many medicinal benefits. Spice liberally! If you can't find okra or aren't a fan, you can make this with just cauliflower, or cauliflower and mushrooms instead. But, why not give okra a chance! Wonderful with a side of basmati rice, this roasted okra recipe is a fast and very healthy dish that can be prepared easily on a weeknight.
Crispy Spiced Cauliflower and Okra [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 3 cups okra, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon whole cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon high-heat oil (avocado, coconut, canola, grape seed)
- 1 tablespoon rice flour (or potato starch)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 450°F and place tablespoon of oil on a metal baking tray.
- Chop okra into 1-inch pieces, discarding top caps, and pointy bottoms. Chop cauliflower into uniform florets. Place both on baking sheet and use your hands to toss in oil. Sprinkle with rice flour, all spices, and salt, then toss to coat again.
- Place in oven and bake for 10 minutes, toss well for even browning, and bake for an additional 10 minutes until cauliflower and okra are both browned and crispy. Sprinkle with freshly chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lemon juice just before serving. Enjoy with a side of basmati rice, a nice tamarind chutney, a simple dal, or a la carte.