If you can't find okra or aren't a fan, make this with just cauliflower, or cauliflower and mushrooms instead! Wonderful with a side of basmati rice, this is a fast and very healthy dish that can be prepared easily on a weeknight. The spices are quite fragrant in this, and will not only satisfy our taste buds, but also offer us many medicinal benefits. Spice liberally!
Crispy Spiced Cauliflower and Okra [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 3 cups okra, cut into one inch pieces
- 1 tsp salt (or more to taste)
- 1 Tbsp whole cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp brown mustard seeds
- 1 Tbsp high heat oil (avocado, coconut, canola, grape seed)
- 1 Tbsp rice flour (or potato starch)
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and place tablespoon of oil on metal baking tray.
- Chop okra into one inch pieces, discarding top caps, and pointy bottoms. Chop cauliflower into uniform florets. Place both on baking sheet and use your hands to toss in oil. Sprinkle with rice flour, all spices, and salt and toss to coat again.
- Place in oven and bake for 10 minutes, toss well for even browning, and bake for an additional 10 minutes until cauliflower and okra are both browned and crispy. Sprinkle with freshly chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lemon juice just before serving. Enjoy with a side of basmati rice, a nice tamarind chutney, a simple dal, or a la carte!
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS