In this recipe, polenta is sliced into fries and baked in the oven until light, airy, and crisp. They pair perfectly with a hearty veggie burger when served hot, with salt, pepper, and ketchup on the side. The remaining fries can be frozen for later use, but after you take the first bite, it's unlikely that there will be any left.
Crispy Baked Polenta Fries [Vegan]
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking polenta
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Olive oil spray
- Tomato sauce, warmed for serving
- In a medium pot, bring water and salt to a boil. Stir in polenta, garlic, vegan butter, oregano, and paprika. Stir frequently cooking 6-8 minutes until done.
- Transfer the polenta to a 9×12-inch dish. Smooth to make the thickness as even as possible. Refrigerate 30 minutes, until set.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Cut polenta into rectangles or wedges about 4-5 inches long. Transfer polenta fries to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Lightly coat with olive oil spray and bake 7-8 minutes. Flip over and lightly spray with more olive oil and cook another 7-8 minutes. To get them a bit crispier, flip them a quarter turn, two more times for an additional two minutes each.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot with tomato sauce.