Made of sweet potatoes and spinach, this gnocchi packs a healthy punch! Crisp, yet soft, you get the best of both worlds. Make this a weekly dinner and you’ll never get complaints!
Crispy and Soft Veggie Gnocchi With Spinach and Garlic Sauce [Vegan]
This Recipe is :
- 1 cup sweet potato
- ½ cup finely chopped spinach (about one cup tightly packed whole leaves)
- 1 ¾ cups almond meal (plus another ½ cup to dust while slicing)
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder (plus another ¼ cup to dust while slicing)
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
Fresh tomato sauce:
- 4 fresh tomatoes
- 3 cloves fresh garlic
- ½ cup white cooking wine (make sure it is vegan to make this dish fully vegan)
- ½ cup fresh basil
- Clean and boil the sweet potato until just soft, a fork should go in but you don’t want it mushy. Wash and chop the spinach in a food processor.
- Once the potato is done, take it out of the water and set aside to cool. You can also cool faster in the refrigerator or freezer. When cooled, peel the skin off the potato.
- Using a grater or ricer, grate the potato into a bowl. Mix in the spinach. In a separate bowl, whisk together the almond meal, arrowroot, garlic powder and salt. You can make the extra flour for dusting in a separate bowl or you can make it all in one bowl. Sprinkle some on a flat surface then put the potato/spinach mixture on top. Add the rest of the mixture ½ cup at a time and mix with your hands until you get a dough that does not stick to your fingers. You want it just pliable but not sticky. Be careful not to add too much flour or it will get too doughy and gum like when cooked. Depending on how wet and cooked your potato got, you may need less or more flour mixture.
- Once the dough is ready, separate it into 8 equal parts. Roll each part out into long snake like rolls. If they get sticky at all, sprinkle a little more flour on them. Cut each into 1 inch pieces, but depending on how big you want your gnocchi you can cut bigger or smaller.
- For crisp on the outside, soft on the inside gnocchi, preheat oven to 325. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until just beginning to brown on top.
- You can also boil your gnocchi the traditional way if you prefer them all soft. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Carefully drop gnocchi in and watch for them to float to the top. Once they float remove from the water with a slotted spoon.
- Wash and chop tomatoes and garlic. Slice the fresh basil into small shreds.
- Cook garlic in a sauté pan with the white wine for about 2-3 minutes, or until about half the wine evaporates. Add the fresh tomatoes and cook until they just begin to soften. Turn off stove.
- Serve over gnocchi with a small handful of fresh basil on top.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS
GnocchiItalian Sauce RecipesSauceSpinachSweet Potato