This delicious vegan cheese is spreadable, incredible, and will be almost impossible for you to stop eating. The soft, creamy cashew cheese is perfumed with a simple pesto made with fresh basil and a bit of garlic. This is the perfect cheese to put out at a party or you can use it as a topping to make any pasta dish extra special.
Creamy Spreadable Pesto Cheese [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3/4 cup raw cashews (soaked in water at least 4 hours and drained)
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon agar agar powder
- Put all the ingredients, except the water and agar agar, in a food processor and blend them until they're smooth.
- Add the water and the agar agar powder in a saucepan over medium heat and mix them well.
- Add the pesto mix and bring the whole thing to a boil. It should get a pancake batter consistency.
- Transfer this to a ramekin and let it cool on the counter.
- Refrigerate it for at least 1 hour before serving.