What the heck is kohlrabi? Glad you asked! It's basically a cabbage masquerading as a root veggie. You'll likely find it hanging out at your local farmers' market or tucked away inside your CSA box. It has a very mild and slightly sweet flavor so it's great sliced up and eaten raw or blended up into a yummy soup such as this one!
Creamy Kohlrabi Soup [Vegan]
- Olive oil
- 2 cups of chopped kohlrabi, peeled and chopped
- 4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 of a yellow onion, chopped
- 5 cups of vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- Into a large Dutch oven, add a drizzle of olive oil. Once hot, add your kohlrabi, carrots, onions and potatoes. Cook for about 10 minutes until they start to cook and caramelize.
- After that add your broth and bring that to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat and add your spices. Give it a good stir and let simmer for an hour or so.
- Prior to serving, puree the soup in a high power blender or by using a hand immersion blender. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve topped with pumpkin seeds.