This is a lovely, rich soup that's perfect for winter weather. Pureed potatoes and cashew cream help give this nutty soup a creamy texture without the dairy.
Creamy Cashew and Chestnut Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 2-3 teaspoons fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 potato, diced
- 1 can chestnuts, pureed
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup water
To Make the Cashew Cream:
- In a blender, add cashews and water until smooth. Best done in a VitaMix or other high-powered blender. Set aside.
To Make the Soup:
- In a saucepan, heat olive oil. Add onion, garlic, and celery, and cook over medium heat until translucent.
- Add the bay leaf, nutmeg, salt and pepper, vegetable stock, potato, and chestnut puree. Bring to a boil, and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf, and process in a blender, until smooth. Stir in cashew cream.
- Divide into bowls, and garnish with fresh thyme, and cashew cream. Enjoy!