This hearty and rustic stew was inspired by "cioppino," an Italian-American recipe for fish stew that originated in San Francisco. Tofu stands in for the fish, but the rest remains the same – vegetables and herbs simmered in a flavorful tomato broth.
Cioppino (Italian-Style 'Fish' Stew) [Vegan]
- 15 ounces tofu, smoked and plain
- 7 ounces mushrooms
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 15-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, squeezed or minced
- Splash of balsamic vinegar
- Fresh parsley and cilantro, or other herbs of your choice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start off with chopping the tofu, mushrooms, and onion roughly into bits.
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the tofu, mushrooms, and onion. Sauté for a couple of minutes, then mix in the diced tomatoes. Reduce heat.
- Add the garlic, balsamic vinegar, and herbs. Season with salt and pepper. Let cook on low heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with toasted bread.