What’s great about galettes, is everything. If you find a staple recipe such as this one, you can mix up the fruit as you like to cater to the changing seasons and your tastebuds. It’s quick, easy, affordable, like a blank canvas, has minimal added sugar and the majority of sweetness derived from the fruit, it’s aesthetically pleasing, great for entertaining, you could easily make these in bulk for a party, are perf with ice-cream, and are just crowd pleasers!
Cinnamon Apple Galette [Vegan]
For the crust:
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold water or almond milk (add a little at a time)
For the filling:
- 4 golden delicious apples, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch slices (about 4-5 cups slices)
- 1/3 cup coconut or cane sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Coarse sugar, for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoon melted coconut oil or vegan butter
- To make the pie crust, in a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar and salt. Add the coconut oil or vegan butter and combine the ingredients with hands.
- Add water or almond milk gradually (1 tablespoon at a time) to achieve a desired consistency. The mixture should be a little on the dry side. As the dough begins to stick together, form a flat disk, wrap and place in fridge for 1 hour or overnight. If the dough is too wet dust with flour. Too dry? Add more water.
- Add the fruit to a large bowl. Top with cane sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice and corn starch.
- Roll out dough onto a flowered surface. Using a large bowl or free hand cut a circle. Use the scraps and add them to the middle, roll out the circle again. It doesn’t need to be exact or even. Move the dough to the baking pan and begin to fold the edges of the galette.
- Once complete being to spoon the fruit mixture into the center and fold the dough up and over the filling even more. Brush the edges of dough with the melted coconut oil or butter and sprinkle with the sanding sugar (coarse sugar) preheat oven to 400°F.
- Bake until crust is golden and the filling is bubbling, about 25-35 minutes, rotating the sheet pans halfway through.Serve warm or at room temperature. Top with vegan ice cream or coconut whip and garnish with mint and cinnamon