These delicious fava beans will be a wonderful addition to your dinner menu! Bright lemon and cilantro brings a depth of flavor to these beans that you'll love.
Cilantro Lemon Fava Beans [Vegan]
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds fresh fava beans in smooth, green pods
- 1 1/2 cups tomato (2 medium vine tomato), diced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Prepare the fava beans by getting them out of the pods. Pull the strings at the sides, squeeze them, and pop the beans out. Drop them into boiling water for about 3 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Place a small (dry) saucepan over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and toast for about 1-2 minutes until they are fragrant. Shake the pan gently to move them around.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add olive oil, cooked fava beans, tomato, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. Simmer 8-10 minutes, until the liquid from the tomatoes is almost evaporated. Cook longer if you want your beans softer. Stir in the cilantro for the last couple of minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Serve garnished with lemon wedges, cilantro and a drizzle of olive oil. Serve with flatbread or pita.