Someone once said that real strength is the ability to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands and then eat just one of those pieces. I must have no willpower whatsoever because, to date, I haven’t managed to pass this test! If I had it my way, I would dip everything in chocolate. Brownies are my biggest weakness, not to mention chocolate covered fruit. And since we’re on the topic of all things chocolate, the other day I baked this yummy cake with cocoa, almonds and coconut flakes. What I love most about this recipe is that you don’t need any fancy ingredients (or animal ingredients) to make it.
Choctastic Coconut and Almond Cake [Vegan]
Serves1 10 x 4 inch cake
- 1 pack of vegan margarine
- 6 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 cup unrefined sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
- 10 x 25 cm baking tin
- Preheat the oven at 350° C. Grease the baking tray and line with greaseproof paper. Set aside.
- Sift the flour in a bowl and add the baking powder.
- Heat up the water in a pot. Add the sugar, stir until dissolved, and add the cocoa powder. Remove from stove and add the margarine. Stir until all the butter has melted. Set aside to cool.
- Add the flour in the cocoa mixture. Stir in the baking soda, lemon juice, coconut flakes and chopped almonds.
- Once the mixture is ready, spoon it in the baking tin and bake in the preheated oven for about 50 – 60 mins.
- When ready, remove from the oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes before removing from tin.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS