This crisp is sweet, juicy, chocolatey and full of flavor. It definitely hits the spot as an actual full-blown dessert. The cacao butter gives it a rich, chocolate flavor that makes even small portions very satisfying!
Chocolatey Pear Crisp [Vegan]
- 12 cups diced peeled ripe pear (about 12 large pears)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoon spelt flour
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 2 cups spelt flakes (or rolled oats)
- 2/3 cup maple sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 cup cocoa butter
- 1/4 cup rice bran oil or safflower oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
Making the filling:
- Add the diced pears to a 9 x 12-inch baking dish.
- In a bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, vanilla extract and spelt flour.
- Pour over the pears and mix well.
Making the topping and baking the crisp:
- In a large bowl, mix spelt flour, spelt flakes, maple sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a saucepan, melt the cocoa butter over medium heat. Remove from heat and whisk in the oil.
- Pour over the dry ingredients. Mix with a spoon, then mix well with your hands until coated evenly and crumbly.
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over the pears.
- Bake for 1 hour, until the filling is bubbling and the top is golden. Let cool for 30 minutes before serving.
- Store in the refrigerator.
Cocoa butter and cacao butter are the same. Check that it is food grade, not the one used for making skin care.