A moist, delicately spiced, not too choccolatey but totally moreish cake. Cut it up into small squares and serve it up on a nice platter at a party – I promise you they’ll be gobbled up in the blink of eye. Maybe best to make a double batch…
Chocolate Spice Cake [Vegan]
This Recipe is :
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup raw cane sugar (brown sugar)
- 3.5oz dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, plus extra for greasing
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup oat or soy milk
- 1/2 cup soy yogurt
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed, plus 6 tablespoons water
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC (320ºF). Grease a 20 x 29 cm (8 x 11 inch) cake tin.
- Mix the ground flaxseed and water in a small bowl to create flax ‘eggs’. Set aside; after a few minutes, the mixture will gel together.
- Sift the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Place a heat-proof bowl over a pan of hot water. Add the sugar, chocolate, vegan butter, maple syrup, and oat milk to it. Stir to combine the ingredients as they melt.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the dry ingredients, as well the soya yogurt and flax ‘eggs’. Mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the greased cake tin, then smooth out the top with a spatula. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the sides of the cake begin to come away from the tin and a skewer comes out of the middle clean.
- Cool on a wire rack before flipping onto a tray and cutting up into 20 pieces.