Chocolate Spice Cake [Vegan]
- 1 + 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup raw cane sugar (brown sugar)
- 3.5oz dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup vegan butter + extra for greasing
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup oat or soy milk
- 1/2 cup soy yogurt
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed + 6 tbsp water
1. Pre-heat the oven to 160ºC (320ºF). Grease a 20 x 29 cm (8 x 11 inch) cake tin.
2. Mix the ground flaxseed and water in a small bowl to create flax ‘eggs’. Set aside; after a few minutes the mixture will gel together.
3. Sift the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
4. Place a heat-proof bowl over a pan of hot water. Add the sugar, chocolate, vegan butter, maple syrup and oat milk to it. Stir to combine the ingredients as they melt.
5. Pour the chocolate mixture into the dry ingredients, as well the soya yogurt and flax ‘eggs’. Mix until just combined.
6. Pour the batter into the greased cake tin, then smooth out the top with a spatula. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the sides of the cake begin to come away from the tin and a skewer comes out of the middle clean.
7. Cool on a wire rack before flipping onto a tray and cutting up into 20 pieces.