This tart is especially exciting because of the blood orange. Because of the pre-made dough, it makes it a little easier and time saving!
Chocolate Drizzled Blood Orange Cream Tart [Vegan]
For the Tarts:
- 1 can refrigerated crescent dough
- 3 egg replacements
- 1 cup granular sugar
- 2 blood oranges, juice and zest
- 1/2 cup dairy free half and half
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Candied Oranges:
- 1/4 cup agave (or other liquid sweetener such as maple syrup)
- 1/4 cup granular sugar
- 1 blood orange, thinly sliced
- 1 cup water
For the Chocolate Drizzle:
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Chocolate hearts for the top (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 12-inch tart pan, or heart pan, with oil. Unwrap and roll out the crescent dough on a lightly floured surface. ( You just want to roll it enough to flatten the creases together.)
- Place the dough on pan and press down, then shape around edges and cut off excess dough. Place into oven and bake for 10 - 12 minutes or until lightly browned along the edges.
- In a small saucepan over medium high heat, whisk together the sugar, orange juice, zest, half and half, cornstarch, salt, and egg replacements until smooth. Continue stirring over heat until it begins to boil and you see the first bubble pop. Remove from heat and continue gently stirring for about a minute to cool, then stir in vanilla and scrape the custard onto the crust.
- Spread in an even layer and place in oven to bake for 25-30 minutes, or until set. Remove to cooling rack and cool for at least 20 minutes. Cover gently with plastic wrap and place in fridge to chill while you fix the toppings.
- For the candied oranges, heat the water, agave, and sugar in a small skillet or shallow pot. Bring just to a boil then add the orange slices and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for about 10 minutes until the liquid has thickened and formed a syrup onto the oranges. Remove from heat and cool.
- To assemble the tart simply place the slices on top of the chilled tart, then melt the chocolate and coconut oil in double boiler until smooth and drizzle over top. If desired, add some small chocolate, truffles or even Hershey's kisses and serve.