If you're looking for a treat to share with your sweetheart (or anyone you like enough to share dessert with), you've come to the right place. This cake is rich and chocolatey with a hint of espresso, and since it's made entirely with almond flour, it's also gluten-free!
Chocolate Almond Espresso Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Cake:
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/3 cup 100 percent cocoa powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flax seeds mixed with 6 tablespoons water)
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, melted
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened vanilla almond milk
For the Chocolate Espresso Sauce:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a cake pan with non-stick spray (I used a 4x12 loaf-style pan).
- First, prepare your flax eggs by whisking the ground flax seeds and water together. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all your dry ingredients (almond flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder).
- Melt your butter in the microwave and pour it into the dry ingredients. Add your maple syrup and almond milk and mix until well combined.
- Add your flax eggs and mix well!
- Pour the batter into your baking pan, place in the oven, and bake for 40 minutes
- Chop your chocolate bar into small pieces and dump them into a bowl.
- Next, prepare your espresso: if you're using instant espresso, add 3 ounces of water and your 4 tablespoons of almond milk to a heat-proof cup and microwave for about 1 minute. Add 1 teaspoon of espresso powder, stir, and pour over chocolate. Continue to stir until creamy and let the sauce sit for about 10 minutes.
- When your cake is cool, flip it over on top of a cookie sheet (or another surface of your preference) and pour half the chocolate sauce over the top. Garnish with fresh raspberries or strawberries!
- Save the rest of the chocolate to spoon over each individual slice.