Braised tofu is a staple in Chinese cuisine. The dish is basically deep fried tofu braised with different mushrooms and vegetables in a savory, starchy gravy. You can enjoy it with rice or just on its own. It’s so tasty, delicious and definitely healthy nutritious.
Chinese Braised Tofu and Veggie Stir Fry [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3 blocks firm tofu, sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 6 pieces dried Shiitake mushrooms
- 3 bunches bok choy
- 1 14-ounce can Straw mushrooms, sliced in half
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1 cup vegan chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 pieces spring onions, sliced (white part only)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Vegan fish sauce
- Rehydrate shiitake mushrooms in 1 cup boiling water. Once mushrooms become soft, slice then set it aside. Reserve rehydrating liquid.
- Prepare a wok and add a good amount of oil then fry tofu until golden brown. Remove some oil but leave around 2 tablespoons on the wok.
- Slide tofu on the side then sauté garlic, ginger, and spring onions.
- Add the shiitake and straw mushrooms then stir fry for a minute.
- Mix together soy sauce, sugar, vegan chicken stock, water from rehydrated mushrooms and cornstarch, and mix well until free of lumps then pour into the wok. Season with vegan fish sauce, bring it to a boil, and then simmer for 5 minutes. Adjust thickness of sauce to your liking by either adding water or cornstarch slurry to the sauce.
- Add the carrots and bok choy then simmer for one more minute.
- Drizzle sesame oil on top, turn heat off, and serve.