Nothing is quite as refreshing on a spring day as chilled soup. Well, ice cream, but you can't have ice cream for lunch ... every day. This chilled cucumber soup is light, seasoned artfully with cilantro, and given a bit of spice with pico de gallo. The silken tofu also gives this purée a smooth and velvety texture.
Chilled Cucumber Soup With Pico De Gallo [Vegan]
For the Cucumber Soup:
- 2 hot house cucumbers, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/2 pound silken tofu
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 large garlic clove
- 2 teaspoons white wine, or champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
For the Pico De Gallo:
- 1 large, ripe tomato, seeded and finely diced
- 1/4 cup white onion, finely diced
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/2 of 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt, to taste
To Make the Cucumber Soup:
- In a blender, combine all ingredients for the soup. Purée until smooth. Refrigerate at least two hours to chill before serving. Season to taste.
To Make the Pico De Gallo:
- In a small bowl, combine tomato, onion, jalapeño, lime juice, and olive oil. Toss to combine. Taste for seasoning and add salt accordingly. Chill two hours before serving for flavors to develop.
- Ladle cold soup into chilled bowls.
- Carefully spoon pico de gallo onto soup so that it doesn’t plop to the bottom, but rests gently on top.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS