This lasagne takes all of the layering of flavor that you love about the Italian version and gives it a Mexican twist. The queso recipe is adapted from The PPK (Post-Punk Kitchen) and works amazingly on nachos and as a dip too. The whole thing takes about an hour and a half to make.
Chili Tortilla Lasagna [Vegan]
This Recipe is :
For the chili:
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 finely chopped chili, membrane and seeds removed if you want less heat
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 15oz. tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 15oz. tin of black beans (or kidney beans), drained
- 1/3 cup sweetcorn
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. chipotle paste (optional)
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1½ tsp. ground coriander
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp. cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- 3 tsp. oregano
For the queso:
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, de-seeded and sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- a little oil for frying
- 1 cup of cashews, soaked over night or at least a few hours
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. mild chili powder
- 4 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3-4 soft flour tortillas, to assemble
- 1 tsp. dry polenta/cornmeal
Make the chili:
- Heat a little oil in the bottom of a pot and add the diced onion and soften for a few minutes. Add in the garlic, diced chili, spice mix, bell pepper and courgette and sautée for another 6-7 minutes.
- Add in the tinned tomatoes, sweetcorn, tomato and chipotle paste and black beans. Simmer for a further 10 minutes and season with salt and pepper to taste. Adjust chili powder and cayenne pepper if you want it spicier.
Make the queso:
- Add the cashews and 1/2 cup of stock to a food processor or blender and blend until really smooth (this will probably take a few minutes, just let it run).
- In the meantime, heat a drop of oil in a saucepan over medium heat and add in the onions, jalapeno and red pepper. Cook until soft (about 7 minutes). Add in the garlic, chili powder, cumin and salt and cook for a further minute.
- Add the contents of the pan into the food processor along with the remaining stock, lemon juice, cornstarch, salt and nutritional yeast. Blend again until very smooth.
- Return to the saucepan and simmer over a low heat for 15 -20 minutes until thickened.
- Lightly oil the bottom of an 8×10 inch oven-proof dish and sprinkle with the polenta. Trim the edges off one tortilla and place on the bottom of the dish.
- Cover the tortilla with about half an inch of chili, then spread a layer of queso over it. Layer with another trimmed tortilla, chili, queso and a third tortilla. Top with a final layer of chili and spread the remaining queso on top.
- Cover with tinfoil and place in the oven at 375ºF/190ºC/Gas 5 for 30 minutes. Remove the foil, then return to the oven for 5-10 minutes more until the top has turned golden brown.