There's nothing like simple and easy recipes that don't require an emergency trip to the grocery store and these chickpea burgers fall right under that category. They're made from canned chickpeas, carrots, and any kind of rice you have in your pantry. The burgers don't fall apart on you and they're done in just 20 minutes. They can be served sans bread with a simple side salad or if you want bread, then pita pockets with greens work wonderfully.
Chickpea Burger With Curried Yogurt Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Burgers:
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons grated carrot
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs or 2 tablespoons gluten-free rolled oats
- 3/4 cup cooked white or brown rice
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- Salt, to taste
For the Curried Yogurt Sauce:
- 1/2 cup vegan yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt, to taste
To Make the Curried Yogurt Sauce:
- In a small mixing bowl, combine yogurt, curry powder, lemon juice and salt. Whisk well and set aside for 15 minutes.
To Make the Burgers:
- Pulse the chickpeas with the scallions and salt until a chunky mixture forms. If you are using rolled oats, then add them along with the chickpeas here.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the chickpea mixture along with basmati rice, grated carrot, dried bread crumbs (omit if using oats), cilantro, and 2 tablespoons yogurt sauce.
- Mix well and divide the mixture into four equal parts and form into patties.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a nonstick skillet and gently place the burger. Cook the burger on medium flame, without disturbing, for 3-4 minutes until it is golden and firm. Flip and cook on the other side for another 3-4 minutes until golden. Top with yogurt sauce and a serve with a simple salad.