Does your day start bright and early? Then these soft and chewy protein bars are sure to keep you full all morning long! They're flavored with chai spices and topped with a sweet and creamy maple-cashew icing — anybody who doesn't know otherwise might mistake them for a snack cake. You could even snack on these after your workouts!
Chewy Chai-Spiced Breakfast Protein Bars With Maple-Cashew Icing [Vegan]
For the Breakfast Bars:
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (or gluten-free oat flour)
- 2 tablespoons protein powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon all spice
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds, plus 5 tablespoons of water)
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Icing:
- 1/2 cup soaked cashews
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
To Make the Breakfast Bars:
- Preheat oven 350°F. In a small cup, make your flax eggs by combining the ground flaxseeds with the water.
- Combine flour, protein powder, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, cloves, and allspice in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together flax eggs; add syrup, coconut oil, and vanilla and stir.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and combine everything with an electric mixer.
- Spray an 8×8-inch baking dish with nonstick spray or coconut oil and pour mixture into dish; use a spoon or spatula to spread mixture flat and place in oven.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes, or until edges are set.
- Let bars cool, slice, drizzle with icing, and serve.
To Make the Icing:
- Combine ingredients into blender and pulse; spread or pour over the bars.