In this recipe, a chia cherry jam sits on a raw pie crust base of seeds and Medjool dates. The cherry jam is sweet, tart, and the the perfect texture. The pie is then topped with cool, creamy coconut yogurt, and garnished with fresh cherries and cacao nibs. Serve this decadent dessert chilled.
Chocolate Cherry Pie [Vegan]
For the Pie Crust:
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup sunflower kernels
- 25 fresh Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt flakes
For the Cherry Chia Jam:
- 1 1/2 cups fresh pitted cherries
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons rice malt syrup
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 14.5 ounces vegan coconut yoghurt
- Fresh cherries, to garnish
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut, sieved to garnish
To Make the Pie Crust:
- Prepare a loose based tart or pie tin and line the base with some baking paper.
- To make the pie base, place the pumpkin seeds and sunflower kernals into a high-powered blender or food processor and pulse until a fine “flour” forms. Add dates, coconut, cacao powder, nibs, and salt flakes and pulse until the mixture is smooth, like a paste.
- If the mixture is too dry and doesn’t come together, add a little water, a teaspoon at a time until it sticks together.
- Press the mixture evenly into the prepared tart or pie tin. Place in the fridge to firm up.
To Make the Cherry Chia Jam:
- Place cherries, water, rice malt syrup, and chia seeds into a small saucepan over medium heat, bring to the boil and then reduce the heat to low, and gently simmer.
- Use a wooden spoon to break up the cherries and stir occasionally. When cherry jam is of a thick and jammy consistency, turn off heat and add to food processor. Pulse until smooth-ish and then allow to cool a little before pouring into the pie base.
- When jam is cool, scoop yoghurt on top of the cherry jam and decorate with cherries and sprinkle with coconut. Allow pie to sit in the refrigerator to firm up for at least 4 hours before serving. This pie keeps well and you can prepare a day in advance. Serve chilled.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS