This is a delicious almond flapjack recipe with a hidden layer of jam and dried fruit, finished off with an oat crumble. The incorporated dried cherries give a lovely chewy texture to these flapjacks while adding in an extra burst of cherry flavor.
Cherry Bakewell Flapjacks [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 cups gluten-free oats
- 1/2 cup of ground almonds
- 1/2 cup of gluten-free plain flour
- 2 tablespoons of almond extract
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 3/4 cup of vegan butter
- 3 large tablespoons of cherry jam
- 1 tablespoon dried cherries
- More dried fruit and fresh fruit (optional topping)
- Pre-heat your oven to 355°F and line a baking tray with grease proof paper.
- Put the oats, ground almonds, and flour into a large mixing bowl.
- Melt the margarine and maple syrup together in a small saucepan on the hob.
- Pour into the dry mixture and mix together until combined, then stir in 2 tablespoons of almond extract!
- Spoon half of the mixture and firmly press into your lined baking tray. Make sure to get right into the edges.
- Spread 3 large tablespoons of jam over the oat layer and press in some of the dried fruit.
- Place the other half of the oat mixture on top of the jam and level with a cold spoon or your hands and firmly press.
- Pop the tray into the middle of the pre-heated oven and leave to bake for 20 minutes.
- Turn it around and bake for a further 5-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once golden brown, remove the tray from the oven and place onto a cooling rack to fully cool down!
- Slice the flapjack into squares and place them into the fridge and allow the topping to set.
Keep stored in a sealed container in the fridge.