If you are like me and you grew up eating scrambled eggs fairly regularly for breakfast, the idea of tossing scrambled tofu into the mix may seem a bit odd. However, I strongly urge anyone who is vegan or simply looking to add more variety their diet to give this a try! Not only does this dish almost perfectly mimic the texture and flavor of scrambled eggs, it is also packed with protein, and is extremely satiating, especially when paired with, my favorite, avocado toast!
Cheesy Tofu and Spinach Scramble [Vegan, Gluten Free]
- 1 package firm tofu, drained and pressed on plate with paper towels
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut or olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, plus more for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the oil, onion, and garlic and cook 4-5 minutes, until onion is softened and translucent.
- Crumble the tofu and add to the pan along with the nutritional yeast, turmeric, sea salt, and pepper. Cook about 4-5 minutes, until the tofu is heated through.
- Stir in the spinach and cook about 2 more minutes, until spinach is wilted.
- Top with fresh basil and more nutritional yeast, and serve.