Nothing says "comfort food" like a good casserole. This recipe has all of the wholesome, cheesy goodness that you've come to expect from a casserole with one difference – it's healthy too. The kale, rutabaga, and onions are covered in a delicious cashew cheese sauce that will make this dish a household favorite.
Cheesy Rutabaga Casserole [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3 rutabagas (approximately 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 pound sweet potatoes
- 1 large sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup roasted red peppers (approximately 2 fresh peppers)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Parsley, for garnish
- The night before you plan on making this recipe, soak your cashews in water so that they are completely submerged. They will become soft and plump overnight.
- Coarsely cut kale and sauté it in a skillet over medium heat but add 1 cup of vegetable broth to the pan instead of oil.
- Cook it until the vegetable broth has evaporated and the kale is wilted, then set it aside.
- Dice onions and sauté them in a pan with 2 tablespoons of water until the onions begin to soften and the water is evaporated, then remove them from the heat.
- Drain the water from the cashews. Using a hand mixer, purée the cashews, red pepper, and the nutritional yeast together.
- Mix thyme, garlic, salt, and pepper (by hand) into your dairy-free cheese sauce.
- Thinly slice rutabagas and sweet potatoes into 1/8-inch coins. You can do this using a knife or a mandolin slicer.
- Now all of your ingredients are prepped. Lightly spray a 2 1/2-quart casserole dish with olive oil cooking spray and place your prepped ingredients within reach.
- Divide your dairy-free sauce into thirds. Place the first third onto the bottom of your casserole dish. Then build layers as follows: rutabagas, onions, sweet potatoes, kale. Add a second layer of cheese sauce, then again – rutabaga, onion, sweet potato, and then add the remainder of the cheese sauce.
- Bake the casserole in a 350º F oven for 40-45 minutes, or until the casserole is fork-tender.