Eating Chai Spice Apple Muffins for breakfast is a given, but they are also yummy for a snack when the munchies hit or even for dessert. These delicious muffins are made with good-for-you ingredients such as old-fashioned oats, whole wheat flour, apples and a few of your favorite nuts.
Chai Spice Apple Muffins [Vegan]
To Make the Chai Spice Mix:
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
To Make the Muffins:
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (gluten-free option: substitute oat flour—you can make your own by blending old-fashioned oats)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons chai spice mix
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 medium apples peeled, cored and chopped
- 1/3 cup pecans (or other nuts like walnuts)
Mix the ground flaxseeds and water in a small bowl and set aside to thicken.
Preheat oven to 350°F.
If not using a non-stick muffin tray, spray lightly with oil.
In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: oats, oat flour, baking soda, all of the chai spice ingredients, and salt.
In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients: applesauce, non-dairy milk, mashed banana, vanilla extract, and flax egg.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
Place a dollop of muffin mixture into each muffin tin and top with a sprinkling of chopped apples.
Bake for 20-30 minutes. The muffins are done when a toothpick inserted into one comes out clean.