This cauliflower Alfredo is comfort food bliss. Rich, creamy, and full of flavor, it's like a sophisticated mac and cheese. The sauce gets its robust flavor from a combination of cauliflower and potato with fresh onion and garlic, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, and various seasonings. Serve this over whatever pasta you like, with fresh greens mixed in.
Cauliflower Alfredo [Vegan]
For the Sauce:
- 1 medium cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or your favorite cooking oil)
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons olive or coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- A pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Pasta:
- 8 ounces pasta of your choice
- 5 cups fresh spinach (optional)
- Combine the cauliflower and potato in a medium cooking pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until fork tender. Drain and dump the vegetables into the food processor; set aside.
- Use the same pot to cook the pasta according to the package.
- Combine the tablespoon of oil with the garlic and onion in a small pan over medium-low heat. Sauté 4-5 minutes, then add to the food processor.
- Add the rest of the sauce ingredients and 1/2 cup of the pasta water to the food processor. Blend 3-4 minutes or more, until the sauce is completely smooth.
- Drain the pasta and put in back in the pot. If adding spinach, stir it into the hot pasta to wilt. Once it’s wilted some, stir in the sauce. If you’re not using spinach, just stir the sauce right into the pasta.
- Let everything heat through over low heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, and adding a little water here and there if it looks dry.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS
CauliflowerItalian Sauce RecipesPastaPotato Recipes