This soup is a bowl of sunshine! In this recipe, carrots are blended with bright and citrus-y orange juice, and creamy coconut milk until smooth and silky. The addition of fresh ginger adds a bit of subtle spiciness without overpowering the other flavors. Serve this soup as a side at dinner, or enjoy it as a light lunch.
Carrot-Orange Soup [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups orange juice (roughly 3 oranges)
- 1 13.5-ounce can coconut milk
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons finely minced ginger
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and continue cooking for 5 minutes, or until onions are soft and brown.
- Add carrots, coconut milk, orange juice, and vegetable broth.
- Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until carrots are very soft, roughly 30-45 minutes.
- Add the ginger and purée with an immersion blender, or transfer in to a food processor and purée until smooth in batches.
- Return the purée to the pot, season with salt and pepper, and heat until hot. If the soup is too thick, add additional broth.