This risotto is made with hearty barley as an alternative to the standard arborio rice. Ginger and garlic substitute as aromatics in place of the traditional onion used in risotto, resulting in flavors that are unlike any other.
Carrot Barley Risotto [Vegan]
This Recipe is :
- 1/2 cup whole barley
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated garlic
- Warm vegetable broth, as much as needed
- 1 little carrot
- A sprinkle of orange zest
- A few fresh thyme leaves
- A small handful of almond flakes
- Soak the barley for 24 hours.
- Rinse, drain, and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a little pot, add ginger and garlic, and cook over medium heat, stirring to prevent burning.
- Add barley, stir for one minute at high flame, cover with warm broth, and let cook at low flame for about 1 hour, half adding more broth when needed.
- In the meantime add the chopped carrots to the broth. When it’s tender, blend with the broth until smooth, and add the purée to barley.
- When barley is tender, add more broth if needed. Serve, sprinkle with orange zest, thyme leaves, and almond flakes.