Indulge in the creamy texture and spicy flavor of this carrot and turmeric soup. It's simple to make and the results are a satisfying, filling puréed soup made from vegetables and coconut milk. This is a weeknight dinner made to be served with a side of crusty bread!
Carrot and Turmeric Soup [Vegan]
- 4 large carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 scallion, chopped
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, halved
- 1/2 cup of non-GMO sweet corn
- 1/2-inch ginger, peeled
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 5 peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Himalayan pink salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- Heat the coconut oil on low-medium in a medium-sized sauce pan and then proceed to add the cinnamon stick, cloves, cumin seeds peppercorns, and bay leaf.
- Temper the whole spices with the bay leaf for 2-3 minutes until the aroma is released and seeds begin to crackle.
- Continue to temper the spices while adding the garlic and scallion.
- Sautee the garlic and scallion with the other ingredients for 1 minute while rotating the saucepan to prevent sticking or burning.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, excluding the broth and coconut milk. to the pan.
- Fold and cook the vegetables for 3-5 minutes until soft and tender. Then pour in the vegetable broth and stir.
- Allow to simmer for 2 minutes before pouring in the coconut milk.
- Carefully transfer the hot contents into a blender and puree into a thick soup consistency.
- Serve accordingly.