In this recipe for Caribbean curry, stewed curried pigeon peas are served on a bed of steamed vegetables. Although each vegetable contributes its own flavor and texture, the curried pigeon peas and mushrooms pack the biggest punch. The coconut milk-based curry is warming, smooth, and savory. A side of rice is unnecessary, but it ensures that you won't miss one drop of this delicious curry.
Caribbean Pigeon Pea Coconut Curry [Vegan]
For the Vegetables:
- 1 butternut squash, spiralized
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 cho cho/christophene/chayote, peeled and chopped
For the Curry:
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1/2 cup cooked pigeon peas
- 2-3 teaspoon of curry powder
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme, de-stemmed
- 1-inch piece of ginger, grated
- 2 scallion, sliced
- 1/2 cup of mushroom, halved
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons of organic tomato purée
- 1 teaspoon of pink salt, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon scotch bonnet or cayenne pepper
- Add the butternut squash noodles and the chopped vegetables to a pot of boiling water. The water should be just enough to cover the vegetables. Cover, then steam on medium heat for 10 minutes, or until soft.
- Remove the vegetables from the stove and allow it to cool before draining the water.
- Meanwhile, melt the coconut oil in a frying pan on medium heat, then add the mushrooms, tomato purée, ginger, garlic, and scallion, and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the curry powder and allow the vegetables to cook for another minute before stirring in the coconut milk. The coconut milk mixture should have a brown hue.
- Use a wooden spatula to mix everything once again before adding the pigeon peas to the pan.
- Stir to coat the peas, then season with thyme, pink salt, and cayenne pepper or scotch bonnet.
- Allow the pigeon peas to stew for 10 minutes. During this time, the liquid should reduce and thicken. You can add the remaining ingredients if you wish to immerse the entire dish in the coconut curry.
- Remove from heat and serve warm.